• I don't want what you want and I don't feel what you feel


    So my camera is back and with it is a renewed interest to communicate with people via this mechanism entitled The Marriage of Perception and Reality. For the first time all summer I am not even remotely depressed and besides one of my grants for school being cut in half, due to state budget cuts (Go Fuck Yourself Strickland!) I have nothing to complain about. The past few weeks have been spent with some amazing people who enrich my life in a deeply personal way. I started interning with a Community Development Corporation in Cleveland and am learning a lot through observation and by listening while suspending judgement. I recently decided to stay in school for another year to finish a fine arts degree after I'm finished with Urban Studies. I made the decision when calculating my credits and discovering I was only 28 credits away from a Photo degree. Although I had always said I didn't want to go to school for art, I thought this is an opportunity to evolve as an artist and make myself more versatile in the long run. I felt like if I didn't do it now I might not ever and that would be something I would regret for the rest of my life. I'm at the stage with my Photography where I feel like I'm on the verge of doing something really great and want to dedicate myself to learning as much as possible. All the knowledge about photography I have is based on one class. I really want to see what I'm capable of after spending a year solely focused on studying art. For the first time in a long time I am thrilled to go to school and learn. I know my choice of Urban Studies and Photography is confusing to a lot of people, but there is an overlap evident in the work of Gordon Parks, Margaret Bourke-White, and too many others to name. I am proud of the fact I don't make choices that are logical to most. I don't aspire to be typical or honestly anything other than true to myself. My version of success is the only one the I care about.


    0 comments: