• I know you're married, but I've got feelings too


    I'm pretty open about the fact I come from abuse and without going into too much detail my childhood was not a happy one. There were many times when I thought me or one of my siblings were going to be killed and was always reminded how worthless I was and how I would never amount to anything. I've spent a significant portion of my adult life learning to forgive and not dwell on situations that were traumatic for me. I would be lying if I said it isn't a battle sometimes to focus on moving on without fear or resentment, but I take accountability for my life and the choices I made. I'm thankful for everything that happened, because it allowed me to the person I am now. I make a point to be open about my childhood to show people how unproductive it is to let a situation you had no control over define the rest of your life and how empowering forgiveness can be. I know a consequence of being open about my past is that people I have relationships with will more often than not try to make it relevant in situations where it's simply not. To me it's the most obvious and easy way of shifting the attention to me and my issues instead of them. I've been accused of hating men and not being able to trust people, because of my childhood. For the record, I don't hate men. I hate bullshit and have no respect or time for people who are so willing to bring up something I still struggle with in order to not have to look at themselves and their lives.

    0 comments: