• Patti Smith







    Music is my heart. It has guided me through all the trials and tribulations of my life and I can honestly say, without exaggeration, it has saved my life numerous times over. If music is my heart then when I first heard Patti Smith I found my voice. I bought the album Horses when I was 20 on the passionate recommendation of everyone I knew and respected and fell in love the second I heard her sing. I was gobsmacked at how honest and fearless she was/is and am completely inspired by how willing she is to lay it all out in her art. I never in a million years thought I would get an opportunity to see her perform live and was shocked beyond belief when I heard she would be giving a free show in Cleveland last summer. I woke up at 4:30 in the morning on a very rainy day to take the train and walked through the mud to see her. She gave a performance as a part of the CBS Early show, so unfortunately she did not play Rock and Roll Nigger, but that is my only complaint. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to speak with her after her performance and was for once at a loss for words. I mumbled something about how important her music is to me and thanked her for giving me hope and she told me since I have hope I have a responsibility to share it with others. Here are some photos I took from that day.

    0 comments: